corner' was that the other end of Main Street, Andrew Beattie took it
over from his father Thomas and set-up in the shop which became
Douglas's, and is now Denholm Meat Suppliers. He used to do a country
run in a horse-drawn vehicle with a chopping block in the back.
was further up main Street in the shop that is now Westgate Salon.
Between the wars Fred Webb ran a country business, operating from a
storage shed in the Loaning.
in Westgate in the buildings that later became Scott Elliott's garage
and the hairdressers next door. They have recently been demolished.
The 'Model Dairy'
was built by the Laird in the late 19th century and became known as a
'model dairy' as it was fully tiled and spotlessly clean. Before the
first world-war it was run by George Watson of Rillbank. It expanded
into Hawick as the Denholm co-operative Dairy society but the premises
in Westgate were not used after the first world-war.
Between the wars
Tom Tait sold milk from a dairy behind Rillbank and the Tinlins of
Denholm Mill Farm had a Milk round with a horse and cart.
a small general store between Sunny Bank and Olivers garage, run by a
Miss Anderson, later by Lizzie Murray, Miss Lizzie Scott had another at
3 Main Street in part of the building that had once been the Crown Inn.
This shop later became a fancy goods shop and then Tom Scott knitwear
shop before its conversion to a private house in 1987. The Co-op (Hawick
and Jedburgh co-operative Society) was opened in Elm House in 1951 but
closed in 1985. The whole building has now been developed by the Eildon
housing association and the shop is occupied by Tom Scott knitwear.
Turnbull had a chip shop next to Lindsays bakery in the house which was
then just a one-storey cottage.
several small sweetie shops on main Street and at odd corners of the
village. Sweets and toffee were often home-made.
halfway down Main Street in the house that is now Greenside. It was run
for a long time by Miss Agnes Miller. She had a whistle to summon a
part-time assistant when a telegram arrived and had to be delivered.
was followed after the second world war by Mrs Russell and then by James
Lawrence. In 1966 the post-office was transferred to Sunnyside where it
was run by Jimmy Steel and then by Rob Neil. In 1986 it was moved to
Westgate, to Braemar Cottage (so-called because the Hawick knitwear firm
of Braemar had a small branch factory there after the second world war).
had a dispensary in the room on the left of the entrance to the Cross
Keys. This used to be a separate house with a pend leading to a
courtyard and stables at the back.
had a shop in Birkview in Main Street up until the Second World War.
Later Willie Parker, the 'packman,' used to travel the countryside
selling drapery from his car or from his house by the pend at the Fox
Campbell had a workroom in the old stocking shop at Rosebank in the Dean
Road (now Rosecroft) and Adam Cairns was in Main Street. Later, in the
1930s, Mr Minto worked in Leyden's View and Mr Richardson in Scott's
buildings, next to the Fox and Hounds.
was still in 5 Main Street. Later Billy Little had a cobblers shop where
the chemist had been (now part of the Cross Keys).
Milligan was in a cottage opposite Swiss villa in the Cannon Gate. Miss
Smith recalls a swing between two box beds in the kitchen on which
customers could pass the time while they waited! Later George Stormont
came out from Hawick every Tuesday afternoon to a shed in Westgate
(where the public toilets are now).
early years of the century there was a photographer, Hugh Rigby, in a studio in the Poplars on the small green.
Scott was the village Saddler for 50 years in the first house in
Westgate (now part of Braemar Cottage).
After his death in 1905 the
business was bought by David Dickman who later moved it to Main Street
(where Westgate salon is now). He was followed by his son and latterly
the business was run by Bill Rae, once a Dickman apprentice. On one
occasion Mr Dickman junior was reckoned to have had 17 pairs of stirrup
leathers running in the Grand National! The shop also ran a petrol pump
on the opposite side of main Street.
were in Broomieknowe on the corner of the Dean Road and Douglas Drive,
where the Robsons had been in the 19th century. Joseph Laing was in
Rockview by the Minto Road. The Cockburn's also worked Rockview smithy
for a time but moved in the 1930s to the disused Cameronian chapel
behind Poplar Neuk. Mr Cockburn used to work the country, taking a horse
and cart up to Bedrule and to the Grange on the Ancrum Road.
Nicholas Furness, grandson of the founder mentioned by Ramsay, had the
workshop behind East Gate House until his death in 1936.
He specialised in
carriage and coachwork. The business was taken over by Bob Scott, later
by Ian Ainslie, and is now Border Coach
Craft. Other joiners were Scott
Elliott in Westgate , John Miller, followed by his son Tom, in Main
Street, and Bob Scott,
later Peter Sinton Wight, in the Wynd.
and coal merchants
James Cairns ran the sawmill at the yard by the Teviot bridge. Later Tom
Cairns, carrier and coal merchant, had his lorries there. After the
Second World War the coal business was nationalised and the transport
lorries were taken over by Ross and Sandy Oliver.
Oliver had a wheelwright's business and Engineering shop in Leyden's
Road, where the garage is now.
and Hounds was run by Jock Sanderson, later Dick Hutchinson, before it
was bought in 1949 by Tom and Tib Cairns, later Tib Lothian. After 40
years as a landlady she has recently handed over to her daughter and
son-in-law Ruth and Alec Trotter. The Andersons were still owners of the
Cross Keys in the early 1900's. Since then it has changed hands many
times and is now owned by Peter and Heather Ferguson.
William Murray came to Denholm in the early years of the century and set
up a flourishing market garden business.
|| He leased the small green in 1910 and
also had land and greenhouses at the bottom of the Canongate where he
grew melons, grapes and peaches. Produce was sent as far afield as
London. A horse and cart, later a motor van, took it once a week to the
station at Hassendean.
The business was taken over by Mr and Mrs Wood
shortly the after the second world war. At this time there was a second
market garden run by Ed Scott on the other side of the Canongate.
Large greenhouses used to occupy the ground behind his house, Ashlea,
where Minto Gardens is today. He also had a shop in Hawick.
Mr Dickman set-up a poultry business for one of his sons who was not fit
or able to take up the saddlers trade. The "Dickman hen runs"
were on the land behind the gardens in Main Street (the old South Crofts
or "eighths"). For a time he also rented land at Garth Side,
out on the Jedburgh road.
Bulman's have farmed at Denholm Hall Farm almost continuously since
1830's, apart from a period early in the century when George Gray and
then Peter Wight were tenants. Tom Bulman returned in 1927, after the
death of Mr Wight. The farm is still owned by his daughter, Chrissie.
Denholm mill ceased to be a corn mill around the turn of the last
century. The Olivers remained tenants until 1921 when Danny Taylor took
it over, followed by the Tinlins about 1930. Mr Scott had it for a time
before Jock Galloway bought it at the beginning of the 1950s.
station remained at the corner of Eastlea Drive and the Jedburgh road
until its closure in 1971. The last the village constable was Bob Mole.
early years of the century a horse-drawn bus service was run by Simon
It was a wagonette with a door at the back and a canopy behind
to keep off the dust.
bus was a motor vehicle and in the 1920s it ran in competition with the
service set-up by Cairns and Welsh. Their Albion bus, the "old 16", was
6d return to Hawick. Buses would only depart when they had a full load
also ran a taxi service with an old Ford. Mr William Milligan drove a
taxi between Denholm and Hassendean and Willie Wight ran a rather
erratic service to Minto. Later T B Oliver
had a taxi service.
early years of the century the village doctors lived in the house which
is now the Manse, known then as Teviot House.
Their coach and horse were
kept in the stables behind. Later the doctor's house was Fern Bank, next
door, and latterly it was Kirklands, behind the Church. The doctors
often dispensed their own medicines.
Dr Heddleston, the last village
doctor, retired in 1949 and was not replaced. The village used to have
its own district nurse who lived in Elm House, later in the last house
before the Teviot bridge.
brigade of local volunteers was not set-up again after the Second World
War. From then on the service was provided from Hawick.
Opening of Denholm Golf Course 1907
golf course, putting green and tennis court
nine-hole golf course was opened in 1907. The first tee was by the seat
at the top of the Loaning. The membership fee was 1/- later 2/6d, but
the golf course did not survive the first World War.
there was a putting green further down the loaning, below where
Ruberslaw Road is today. It helped to raise money for a public hall. The
road to Hawick used to be so quiet that children could play tennis at
the bottom of the Manse Brae. If any traffic came there was plenty of
time to get out of the way.
Between-the-wars there was also a tennis
court in the field behind Denholm Hall Farm House.
Poplars on the corner of Kirkside got its name from the five Poplar
trees planted by an 18th century owner for each of his five sons. The
last one blew down in a storm nearly 50 years ago. The same man, Thomas
Turnbull, is also said to have built five house's at the end of the main
Street for his sons. Connecting doors were built into the attics
probably to provide a fire escape but there is also a legend that it was
an escape route for smugglers!
house is one of these houses and was originally the same height as the
others. In 1910 it was pulled down and rebuilt by Dr John Haddon with
text on the front inspired by similar ones on a house and Hawick.
others: all will be others"
tent in time, ere time be tint"
|| More about Dr John Haddon here..
Dr John Haddon was a good medical practitioner and he was
philanthropic enough to buy up several house's in the village and leave
them in trust to be let, rent-free, to elderly people who had been born
The Text House
Denholm Feuars and Householders Council
all but one of the feuars bought their feus from the Laird, Mrs Palmer
Douglas, and in 1946 a deed of gift was drawn up whereby the feuars
finally became the rightful owners of;
The green and
the small green
The Quoiting half and the East bleaching green
The feuars paddock (ground adjoining Rubersvale at the foot of the
The old back Road
The Wynd and the path along the back braes
The old cart road (a track from the wind to Minto Road, now Riverside
The strip of ground between the Teviot and Rillbank and Minto gardens
The Mill Wynd
all land that they had long looked after by custom or consent but only
now did it become their legal property. At the same time the old feuars
Committee was replaced by the feuars and householders Council which was
to represent not just feu owners but all the village householders and
Ratepayers. The new councils prime responsibility with the management of
the above common land and right's of way but it also looked after many
other amenities and it represented the villagers more general interests
before introduction of the community council in 1972.
was still let for grazing until the 1930s although the public were
allowed on to it during the winter months when the cattle were taken
off. The official public playground was still the Quoiting Haugh but
there was a growing feeling that the Big Green should be given over
entirely to recreation, especially as the pasture had become poor due to
years of uninterrupted grazing. In 1936 the income from it was only £6.
In 1937 the counter clerk agreed to pay £10 per annum for it as a
school playground and in 1938 anyone over 16 was allowed on to it to
walk or play.
came into the village in the mid-1930s. At the request of the feuars and
householders Council the power lines were laid underground so as not to
spoil the Green and centre of the village. The old cobbled causeway down
Main Street was lifted and replaced with tarmac roadway and pavement.
Residents' parking space was provided on the opposite side of the street
and a car park cut out of the corner of the green for those at the end
end of the Second World War the feuars and householders Council worked
hard to provide recreational facilities on the Green. From 1942-1951
they ran a putting green on the south-west corner, re-erecting the old
fire hose shed as a hut for the equipment. They put up swings and a
see-saw for the children who still used the green as the school
playground. On the East side was a cricket pitch and football field with
beds were planted and maintained with the help of the school and other
volunteers until 1971 when the beds were levelled and grassed over. The
Roxburgh county council took over responsibility for cutting the grass
in 1963 but the villagers were so dissatisfied with the result so that
the feuars and householders Council continued to manage this for several
the old trees - elms, chestnuts, ashes and limes were taken down, either
because they were diseased and unsafe or because they darkened
householders property. As a role they were replaced with smaller species
hawthorn, lilac, ornamental cherry, acer, sorbus - but a birch was also
planted and an old weeping ash still survives at Lindsays corner.
railings on main Street were requisitioned during the second world war
but repairing the walls around the green remained an uphill and
expensive task. During the 1950s and 60 is they were gradually lowered
or taken down completely and the flat coping stones were laid on the
ground as the boundary. The path around the outside of the green was the
responsibility of the feuars until 1955 when they were taken over by the
that the villagers were alarmed by Council proposal to build a road
right across the green from East to west so that through traffic could
avoid the bad corners at both ends of the Main Street. The plan however
came to nothing and the Green was left intact.
Murray the market Gardner had fruit trees on the small green until 1934
when householders complained that they light was blocked out. The trees
were cut down and other produce grown there instead.
| Mr and Mrs Wood
took it over in 1947 and worked it has a market gardener until 1962 when
Ed Scott had it for a couple of years. After he gave it up it was
grassed over and the wall around it taken down. There was great
enthusiasm as this time for a bowling green but after a year or so the
idea was abandoned for lack of interest.
The "wee" Green was
kept as a pleasant open space and playground and various individuals and
local organisations have donated small trees to plant around it.
Green becoming the new Recreation ground, the Quoiting Haugh became a
place for walks and picnics. The feuars and householders Council sought
to the mending of its gates and fences and let it for sheep grazing
usually to the tenants of Denholm Mill Farm. Gradually the large ash
trees that grew above it were taken down because they overshadowed the
new house's in Riverside drive.
East bleaching green
part of the East bleaching green at the foot of the Loaning was leased
in the 1920s to the comrades of the Great War who build the Comrades
Hall. The top part was let for some years to Anthony Wilson, gardener,
for a greenhouse.
Most of the rest was kept as a drying green with
clothes poles until 1960 when swings were put up and playground made for
the growing number of children in the new house's on this side of the
middle of the 19th century public meetings we usually held in the
"Auld Scule" on the Green. The new school built on Sunnyside
in 1852 was large enough to serve as a village hall and here were held,
in Ramsay's boyhood, concerts ,dances, elections and the flower show.
Towards the end of the century however people began to want a
separate, purpose-built village hall. A committee was set-up and
much fund-raising ensued.
By 1903 £100 had been raised and an appeal was made of for
outside help. Not enough money was forthcoming for a new building but
the Palmer Douglas family gave over the top floor of Westgate Hall. This
was used as a meeting hall and committee room from 1907 up until the
1950s. A stairway was built up the outside to make a separate entrance.
Westgate Hall however was not suitable for large gatherings or for
recreational activities such as badminton. In 1918 the YMCA. "Red
Triangle Club" gave a grant for a building which might be used as a
public call providing a religious service was held there once a month.
The feuars Committee voted another £100 towards it and in 1921 a former
army hut from the camp at Stobs was erected behind the second last
building at the West end of the main Street. At last Denholm had its
Somerville trust was set up to raise funds to maintain it. Property was
bought with money bequeathed by Mrs Euphemia Somerville who died in
1928. This included Somerville buildings around the arch on Sunnyside
where she had lived. It was hoped that the rental from this would
generate a steady income for the maintenance fund but the money somehow
dwindled and the properties were sold. Other ways were found to support
years it was used by the Badminton Club, a youth club and the Boys'
Brigade. Dances, film shows, coffee mornings, concerts, political
meetings and the flower show were held there. It housed a lending
library and reading room before the county library was set-up and the
old cookery room behind the school on Sunnyside (the room that is now
the small hall).
present school building was opened in 1965 and the old one on Sunnyside
became the canteen. In 1983 this too was moved with the aid of grants
and more fund-raising the building was converted to become the present
village hall. The old YMCA public call in Main Street was therefore no
longer needed and was demolished.
Present Village Hall
1920 a second Hall - corrugated iron and purpose-built - was erected on
the lower part of the East bleaching green by the comrades of the Great
War (now the British Legion). This, the Comrades Hall, was used for
recreation and social gatherings and carpet bowls were played there in
the winter. There was often great rivalry between it and the public
call. Latterly it became a grocer's shop.
the old part of the village was designated a conservation area being
"of special architectural and historic interest, the character and
appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhanced... It
represents a fine example of a planned village formed around the central
open space. The designated area includes the main and small greens
together with the buildings which front on to them and the approaches to
the centre of the village - the Cannon Gate, East Gate, Westgate and the
considerable number of listed buildings are to be found in this area.
Class B -Leyden's
-the Old Mill at West end, Birkview and Mintlaw, from Cross Keys to 3
Main Street, the buildings around arch on Sunnyside, Leyden's monument,
the Church, the Teviot bridge.
streets and house's
Only a few
new houses were built in Denholm before the Second World War. The houses
and Jedward Terrace went up in the mid-1930s and building began a few
years later in Eastlea Drive and Riverside drive but was not finished
until after the war ended.
prefabs were put up in Ashloaning at the end of the war followed by the
'Crudens semis' and the 'Orlits'.
During the 1950s six more semi-detached houses were built in the Loaning
and ten in Murray Place.
through the 1950s the public water supply was inadequate for the post
war village but in 1963 a proper supply was finally piped in from
Alemoor Loch, above Roberton. The way was now open for more housing
development. Many new council houses were built in Ashloaning followed
by more in Douglas Drive and Douglas Court in 1966. Another 10 were
built at the top of Ashloaning in 1969 and nine pensioners house's
replaced some of the prefabs.
1970s and early Eighties there were private developments at Ruberslaw
Road, Minto Gardens and at the top of the Loaning. Individual house's
have 'in filled' various other smaller sites.
in the 20th century
1901 - 349
1911 - 400
1931 - 365
1951 - 500
1971 - 581
1981 - 533
the increase in the village population after the second world war as new
house's were built.
now has two small knitwear factories, Tom Scott and Jim Hogarth's, also
Border coach Craft, Oliver Brothers lorry transport and several joiners
and house painters. Most of its inhabitants, however, have to find
employment outside the village and travel to Hawick, Jedburgh, St
Boswells or even further afield. It has become an attractive village for
commuters and a pleasant place for retirement.
are fortunate in that today it still has two newsagents and general
stores, a butcher's shop, a post office, and hairdressers, a garage and
two public houses. It also has the Church, and its village school and a
thriving community life.