Some interesting, historical, quick facts about Denholm..
n 1959 the villagers were alarmed by a Council proposal to build a road right across the Green from east to west so that through traffic could avoid the bad corners at both ends of the Main Street. The plan, however, came to nothing and the Green was left intact.
In the middle of the 19th century there were five public houses in the village.
In 1802 the 'Auld Schule' was built on the Green where the monument is today. It remained there for 56 years.
Denholm had its own nine hole golf course opened in 1907 (up the Loaning). It did not survive the 1st World War.
The railings on Main Street were requisitioned during the 2nd World War and during the 1950's and 60's the walls around the Green were gradually lowered and the flat coping stones laid on the round as a boundary.
In the 18th century it was quite common to cross the river on stilts (there was no bridge) and most households had at least one pair.
In the summer of 1849 there was an outbreak of cholera in the village. There was a total of 59 cases of which 29 were fatal.
There used to be a chip shop next to The Auld Bakery.
In the late 19th century the local fire brigade were based in the Wynd and they would give the Leyden Monument an annual wash.
In November 1898 an article entitled 'Denholm as a Holiday Resort' appeared in the "Border Magazine".